South West Landlords Association administers the (LASW) Landlord Accreditation South West scheme. The scheme is licenced under the West of England Rental Standard enabling accredited members to use the Rent With Confidence logo on stationery and advertising.
Aim of the scheme
- To encourage, raise awareness and actively promote good standards and management practice by landlords.
- To assist landlords to understand their responsibilities.
- To drive up the quality of private rented property by setting a standard.
- The scheme comprises an element of self- regulation and relies on a degree of goodwill and trust on the part of landlords.
Requirements of the scheme to gain Accreditation status.
- A landlord will be required to
- Complete the LASW one day training course and successfully complete the validation paper.
- Be a fit and proper person as deemed by their local authority.
- Agree to read, and abide by the LASW terms and conditions and the code of conduct.
- Be a member of a recognised landlord association or other recognised body during the period of accreditation.
- Complete continuous professional development throughout the five year accreditation period.
The training day
- A cost effective training day will be carried out at various venues throughout the region.
- The course is taken by a professional trainer with many years experience of working in the private rented sector.
- The course gives landlords the chance to talk to other landlords who have properties in the area and ask local authority officers for advice and information.
- The course covers all aspects of starting a tenancy, maintaining a tenancy and ending a tenancy with advice regarding ancillary subjects. (Gas/electric/HMOs/damp).
- Landlords are encouraged to interact with the trainer to explore and expand upon problems regularly encountered in the PRS.
- The course is based upon information contained in the ANUK (Accreditation Network United Kingdom) Handbook and comprehensive notes are supplied on the day.
- An accreditation certificate is awarded on successful completion of the course and validation paper.
What are the benefits?
- Being accredited.
- Recognises you as a professional landlord who has attained a recognised standard and continues to develop professionally.
- Being able to distance yourself from rogue landlords.
- Celebrates your understanding of quality, safety and compliance in the private rented sector.
- Recognition by local authorities and other bodies often leading to reduced fees for licences.
West of England Rental Standard/Landlord Accreditation South West – Partners.
- The accreditation scheme is recognised and supported by Bristol City Council, Plymouth City Council, South Gloucestershire Council, North Somerset Council, Bath and North East Somerset Council, Exeter City Council, Teignbridge District Council and Torbay Council.
- ANUK is supported by central and local government, higher education establishments, landlord associations, the chartered institute of environmental health and the independent housing ombudsmen.
- Landlord Accreditation South West accredits Landlords not property.